Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Yarn delivery


Got the order I placed after work Friday, today! I ordered from Knit Happens, and I'm really happy with the speed at which My First Sweater yarn arrived. I think they have a good little selection too.

The yarn is pretty and silky feeling, and doesn't look like much yarn at all; it came in a small bag. I suppose it doesn't look like much because it calls for size 6 needles. I may have to knit a couple of swatches. I'm afraid I knit a tad loosely and size 6 will be too large for the right gauge. Of course, I'd rather not have to calculate gauge at all, so I'll cross my fingers that 6 will be perfect. I mean, really cross my fingers.

Yesterday I got the pattern for the Mother Bear Project, and I've got most of one bear done. The bear is basically a twenty-stitch-wide scarf that you fold in half and sew together. Easy peasey. I think they should make the pattern available online, but they didn't ask me. . . .

Like My First Sweater yarn (color: slate), my bear is a gray shade too (Woolease Oxford gray). I think I have warm associations with gray because of lovely Dodger.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Oooh, I bet that yarn feels wonderful. I've always thought of gray as a very comforting color, so cozy.

I should knit one of those bears myself...

Sarah W. said...

It does feel great! Very soft and light, but strong.

There are some groups in Memphis who are knitting bears--I'll see if I can find out some info for you!

TwinsGoddess said...

You can order the Mother Bear pattern online, but they ask for $3 when you order it, to pay for shipping the bear to Africa, which is very expensive.

After that, you can re-use the pattern to make as many bears as you like, but again, they ask for $3 for each bear.

Sarah W. said...

Yes, I mailed off for the pattern and I got it very quickly.