Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Greens

Last week I went through my yarn stash for the first time in a long while. I don't think I have a very big yarn stash, so what's to see? Ya know? I found two leftovers of Euroflax yarn, 100% linen. It's too pretty (and pricey) to throw away. So I decided to make a beautiful facecloth for myself (see pattern at bottom). However, I overestimated the amount of yarn I had and it began to look more like a swatch than a washcloth to me. Then I didn't have enough to make a square, so now it is a pentagon-shaped coaster on my dresser. Hey, it has a purpose.

I organized the yarns by acrylic and acrylic-like, cotton and cotton-like (linen, bamboo), and wool and wool-like (alpaca, mohair). It's mostly leftovers because I rarely buy yarn without a project in mind.





Sunday I ironed this green, 100% cotton fabric (from the Hobby Lobby clearance bin--I couldn't resist) and cut out a dress. Man, it took forever. Three hours or something? I mispinned a few times. Luckily I caught it before I cut.

Sometimes (usually) sewing just exhausts me. First of all, there can be a lot of moving around from the sewing machine to the ironing board, then there is the hunching over. I'm not an experienced sewer, so I really have to concentrate and remember to pin right sides together, etc. It's much more involved for me than knitting.

I'm making a Built by Wendy dress, the blue version. What I would like to do is perhaps work on this dress in many increments instead of wearing myself out marathon sewing. It should be fun, right? If only I had a sewing room where everything was set out for me instead of tucked away to save room. Sigh!






Eyelet Washcloth
Based on Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas

Yarn: Lion Brand cotton
Needles: size 7


Increasing:
CO 4 sts. Knit one row. Second row, k2, yo, knit to end. Repeat second row until there are 40 sts. (Or desired width.)

Decreasing:
K 1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, knit to end. Repeat this row until there are only 7 sts.

Row 1: k2, slip 1, k2tog, passo, k2.
Row 2: k2, yo, k2tog, k1.
Row 3: Bind off all sts. Leave a long tail and crochet a chain. Sew the chain to make a loop to hang the cloth.

This can be a larger adult washcloth, or even a baby blanket.

1 comment:

mushroommeadows said...

Yeah, sewing can be a real pain. I was hemming some jeans and it's so annoying