Saturday, June 03, 2006

My first bobble

Has anyone made a Mason-Dixon Washcloth yet? Open your textbooks to page 55. This morning I knit a washcloth, and I've got some pointers for y'all. I think it took me about four hours to make, and now I'm blocking it. You cast on 150 stitches by using a long tail. Your tail needs to be about 5 yards long (the distance between your nose and extended arm = roughly a yard). The pattern doesn't specify the length of the circular needles; I used 22-inch needles.

When you make the bobbles, please note that the pattern does NOT say knit into the front and back, is says knit into the BACK, FRONT, and BACK. I made two bobbles before I realized my mistake, and you'll probably agree that UNknitting is not as much fun as knitting.

The yarn I used for my washcloth was Lion Brand Cotton that I unraveled last night from my first and very terrible attempt at the crocheted cowgirl hat from Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. I was flat-out crocheting wrong, and the hat ended up big, floppy, and clownlike. I could pull it down over my eyes! Sadly I did not realize the proportion was all wrong until I was done and ran to the bathroom mirror to see what it looked like on. Eek! C'est la crochet.

No comments: