Friday, June 23, 2006

Kitties





In Eureka, Abby decided she wanted to learn to knit and make her in-laws some kitty toys. The first day, I taught her to knit. The second day, I taught her to purl. The third day, she was following a pattern and increasing! I didn't tell her we were advancing at lightening speed. She made a garter stitch square and sewed it into a kitty wonton. Voila! Her first project completed. I'm so proud.

A few months ago, I made some kitty toys for my friend Leslie's cat, Riley. You can see one in these pictures of Riley (black and white tuxedo cat), and Carley, the foster cat (long-haired calico). Aren't they cute? And Carley is up for adoption!

The ball on a string is from Stitch n' Bitch Nation. Cat toys are great for using up scrap yarn! If you don't have polyester stuffing, you can used a Kleenex.

In May I also made Riley some wontons and an eggroll. I put them in a Chinese take-out container from Michael's and felt oh-so-Martha-Stewart. Leslie's spankin' new husband, Jason, got a huge kick out it, and I was glad I was there to see his reaction. Jason totally dotes on Riley, Leslie's cat from way before this relationship. Isn't that what every pet owner hopes for?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

So cute! I've been meaning to make my cats some toys for ages, but have never gotten around to it. Of course, I think I can forgive myself because I did slog away for hours on the cat bed. Yay for Abby, she's just started down a slippery slope! I'm sure you were a great teacher. :)

Sarah W. said...

The cat bed is awesome!