Sunday, June 18, 2006

Craft fantasies


What's your ultimate creative fantasy? Writing a novel? Painting a mural? Becoming a tattoo artist? Smocking? Here are some of mine:

1. Knitting
My knitting fantasy is having tons of time and money to knit glorious sweaters of all styles and fibers, all the time.

2. Sewing
I have two sewing fantasies. One sewing fantasy is to have a serger and sew knit clothing, T-shirts and things. However, my ultimate sewing fantasy is to be hired as a seamstress for Katy K's, making fun Western wear. She's only a half mile from my apartment, but I don't really have much sewing experience; working on that.

I also dream of crafts I know little to nothing about:

3. Silk screening
I could make my own T-shirts! I could make my own fabric designs!

4. Quilting
I totally have an urge to quilt. I would lean toward more contemporary, modern, fun quilting than old lady calicos--not that there's anything wrong with that. I think I'd need more space and a quilting machine. And also perseverance.

5. Dying
Sometimes, I want to dye things. I hear the siren call of Rit.

6. Entrepreneur with an online store
Some people have it together and sell things they make online. That would be cool.

7. Studio space
The other day I was telling Katie I needed a second bedroom for my knitting and sewing, and then it came like a flash--a studio! Traditionally, studio space is something fine artists have: painters, sculptors, etc. Can't we craftsters have a studio too? Think of the stash you could have. [Insert art versus craft debate here.]

3 comments:

Candyce said...

My craft fantasy involves Alan Rickman c. Truly Madly Deeply.

Unknown said...

At the moment, my creative fantasy is singing Hall & Oates' Room To Breathe at Springwater. I'm a simple girl!

Sarah W. said...

Well, hi there, Denise. I don't believe we've met.