Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Reelin' 'em in with knitting


"Them" being the older, married dudes at work. Oh, well. Today I ate lunch with my friend Susan in our work cafeteria. We found the least dirty table and ate and talked. After I was done eating I cast on my fourth Mason-Dixon ballband dishcloth. Gosh, it's hard to cast on and chat at the same time. Anyway--here comes one of our designers, K., who calls out to me as he's putting up his tray, "Crochet?" He comes over, "Excuse me, is that crochet?" Susan is a crocheter herself, so we were both like, "No, it's knitting. Crochet uses one hook, and knitting uses two needles, see??" Then K. gave a funny impression that I can't portray by blog, making fun of his own lack of fine motor skills (which I found odd, because he is a designer, and one would assume he was somewhat artistic and can draw--go figure) and compared himself to a clumsy bear, hahaha!

Five or ten minutes after K. lumbered off, continuing his bear impression, which just goes to show why he's everyone's favorite designer and we'd love him to do all the designing work, along comes designer R. It was a big day for bumping into designers! R. is holding a punch bowl full of ice. He pauses at the edge of our table, slack-jawed, obviously in awe of my awesome skills, right? He doesn't say anything. We know R. is a hilarious man, but I guess Susan and I didn't know what to make of his silence, so we just looked at him too. I started to wonder how cold the ice bowl was on his hands.

"You're knitting," he said.
"Yeah, that's right."
R. says, "Does that mean what I think it means?"

Another few seconds of silence ensue as Susan and I search our minds for what knitting signifies, in particular. We get it at about the same time. "A baby? Uh, no, I'm not having any babies!" "Maybe she could be knitting for someone else's baby," Susan clarifies, "but not her own, no." Then he asked me what it was and said he wanted to see the finished project. That was nice of him!

No comments: