Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hat Rehab 1: Gray Hat

As soon as I took back two hats of Paul's, the temperature got unseasonably cold in Nashville! This is the first hat I am rehabilitating. It is charged with not fitting over my boyfriend's ears, giving it a rather awkward fit. It fits me pretty well, but I'm not the one with the matching scarf. I had plenty of yarn to make it longer, so I "borrowed" it from Paul.

Here is the gray hat at top, with the new hat begun in leftover yarn:



I unravelled the old hat, which was a bit more time-consuming than I had imagined. I wound the yarn around a bucket, so I could slip it off and make skeins. Those skeins were notched from being a hat for a few months, so I dunked them in water (in the bucket!) and they came out smooth, if drenched with water. This yarn is Swish Superwash wool, so It was easy to wet it without felting it. Here are the skeins drying:



And this is Dodger posing with a center-pull ball of rehabbed wool:


No comments: