Sunday, September 09, 2007

Big Elvis Update

Very briefly, I met Elvis Costello tonight!! Paul and I were walking on the side of the symphony building when I saw someone get out of a car who I thought I recognized as Steve Nieve, who has played piano with Elvis since the beginning. And then we saw Elvis.

About four people hightailed it over with albums and papers for him to sign. Someone got their picture taken. Paul, noticing that I was getting no attention, told Elvis, "She's got posters of you all over her house!" Elvis looked over with a "huh?" expression. After he was done signing, I asked, "Can I shake your hand?" He shifted his suit jacket from his right arm to his left and shook my hand and smiled. Awesome.

The concert was really good. Elvis was really belting them out. He sounded operatic with the symphony. The first half began with Il Sogno Suite, a classical piece he wrote based on A Midsummer Night's Dream. Then he sang with the symphony.

Sometimes I drive myself crazy trying to recall exact songs that were sung at concerts, so in the calmer symphony setting, I wrote 'em down this time. Some were orchestra-esque and others jazzy. The songs he sang were:
  1. All This Useless Beauty
  2. Still Too Soon to Know
  3. The Girl in the Other Room
  4. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
  5. Still
  6. Green Shirt
  7. Shipbuilding
  8. Veronica
  9. Watching the Detectives
  10. My Flame Burns Blue
  11. She
  12. God Give Me Strength
  13. I Still Have That Other Girl
  14. Accidents Will Happen
  15. Scarlet Tide
  16. Couldn't Call It Unexpected no. 4 (without mike)

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Ack! So many excellent songs!!

I haven't seen him in so long, I miss it! He's such a fantastic performer, I just love his voice...sigh...

Sarah W. said...

He said they would be back in Nashville with their electric guitars soon--I hope he wasn't just saying that. I signed up for his email updates.

Hey, Laurie, thanks for introducing me to Elvis. : ) Also, could you email me on my blog? I want to give you my new email address and I've lost your email address.