Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Picking up stitches: how to



Long ago I had an unfortunate run-in with picked-up stitches. It resulted in the ugliest thing I think I've ever knit. It was a poncho and I used boucle yarn that you really couldn't tink back, because it was too textured and stuck to itself. I was almost done, and then I picked up stitches for the collar, which was supposed to lay flat. I picked up more stitches than the pattern called for, but thought "Oh, well, that's OK." The result was a hideous ruffle at the collar. I threw the poncho over my head, looked in the mirror, and knew instantly I was never gonna wear this thing. It reminded me of some horrible Minnie Pearl-inspired muumuu poncho. Ug-ly.

Now I'm much more exacting about picking up stitches. I know if I pick up too many, I may have ruffles where ruffles should not be. The Lotus Blossom Tank called for picked-up stitches around the armholes and neckhole. It took me a few tries to figure out how to pick up the right number. Perhaps you've figured this all out, but I'm going to tell you how I did it because I figure it may elude someone else too!

For the armhole: pick up 96 stitches. You can't pick up a stitch for each of the stitches present--that's too many. But how do you pick up the right number of stitches all the way around?

First, I measured the length of the armhole: 20 inches. Ninety-six divided by twenty is 4.8. Almost 5 stitches per inch. I measured every two inches and placed a safety pin (see photo). Then I picked up ten stitches every increment, making sure to stop at 96. It worked! I got the right number of stitches around the armholes and neckhole.

PS--Log cabin knitting's great because as you turn the piece to make a new strip, you do pick up a stitch for every stitch present--ahhh, intuitive.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Those are good instructions. It always takes me a few tries too. There is a shawl/shrug type thing I want to knit & have the yarn for, but you have to pick up something like 300 stitches for the collar. Ridiculous! Maybe one of these days...

Sarah W. said...

Good! You could do it!

Laurie said...

I like your new blog look.

We both changed!

Chinoiseries said...

I found this post via Google.. thanks so much for the clear instructions! I accidentally picked up 130 stitches or so instead of the required 96. I had intended to think of a solution today, but then found yours. Thanks again for sharing :)

Sarah W. said...

Glad to help, zhiwen! I'm so amazed I helped someone in the Netherlands!!!

Coincidentally, the woman whose diary and letters I'm currently reading, Etty Hillesum, lived in Amsterdam.