Monday, November 20, 2006

Paul's hat



Here's the handsome fella I've been dating, Paul. He doesn't like to smile for pictures. Tough guy, huh? But I caught him sort of smiling!



Here he's wearing his new hat, handknit by me with a heavy dose of apprehension. For you see, I wasn't following a pattern and I had to swatch and figure out gauge, and I was really, really worried it wouldn't be just right. Lucky you, I wrote it down:

Paul’s stocking hat

Description: Ribbed stocking cap to fit head 22-23 inches diameter, bottom folds up for extra ear warmth.

Materials: 2 balls Knit Picks Sierra (70% wool, 30% alpaca), size 10 sixteen-inch circular needle, size 10 DPNs

CO 92 with cable cast on. Place marker at beginning of row.
Row 1: *K2, p2; rep from * to end.
Repeat for 44 rows, or until hat measures 9 ¾ inches.

Crown shaping: I followed directions from Stitch ‘n Bitch by Debbie Stoller (pp. 162-63).

“Row 1: *K2tog, p2; rep from * to end . . .
Row 2: *K2tog, p1; rep from * to end . . .
Row 3: *K1, p1; rep from * to end . . .
Row 4: *K1, p1; rep from * to end . . .
[switch to DPNs]
Row 5: *K2tog; rep from * to end . . .
Row 6: *K2tog; rep from * to end . . .”

Break yarn, weave through remaining stitches and pull tight. Weave in ends.

He really liked the hat and thought it was truly wonderful. Paul doesn't understand the knitting obession, but thinks everything I make is beautiful and amazing, so he definitely gets a nice hat! (Final craft note: Paul's wearing a crocheted scarf, which I did not make.)




8 comments:

Katie said...

Good job on the hat!

smelk-o-matic said...

The only thing I've ever made my boyfriend is a hat...he doesn't understand the obsession, either, and I don't think he'd actually wear anything handknit for him besides a hat, anyway. Plus, being all superstitious and what not, I'll NEVER make him a sweater!!

Smiles,
Erin

Laurie said...

Very nice! Thanks for the pattern too.

Sarah W. said...

Thanks, y'all! Yeah, no sweaters!

Wordknitter said...

Nice hat, Sarah! Do you think your pattern would fit a 21" circumference head, or should I make an adjustment (use a smaller needle or drop a repeat)?

Thanks,
Barbara

Wordknitter said...

Nice hat, Sarah! Do you think your pattern would fit a 21" circumference head, or should I make an adjustment (use a smaller needle or drop a repeat)?

Thanks,
Barbara
www.wordknitter.com

Sarah W. said...

Barbara, I would swatch your yarn and needles. Stretch out the swatch (as it would stretch on someone's head) and see how many stitches per inch you seem to be getting. Multiply that by 21.

In retrospect, I think this hat came out too roomy. I would use fewer stitches if I made it again. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sarah! I swatched and then cast on today using your suggestions.

Barbara
www.wordknitter.com