Friday, October 06, 2006

The Field Museum, Chicago




I had a FABULOUS time in Chicago this week! Hopefully I'll soon have a disc with photos I can put into an album. These are some pics from my cell phone of a wax reconstruction of King Tut, and the skeleton of Sue, the most complete T. Rex fossil ever found.

The
Field Museum was mucho cool and beautiful. The interior hallway is two large stories tall with lots of sunlight and Greek architecture. There were hours of exhibits to look at, we just didn't have time to see everything. They have stuffed animals from all around the world, and curiously, wax models of plants of the world (!).

Because we decided to stay an extra day, we had time to go to the King Tut exhibit. I love ancient Egypt, and this exhibit was very neat. I had heard on NPR that Egypt probably won't lend all these objects again anytime soon, so I was grateful I got to see them. One of my favorite things was the childhood chair of Tut. I also loved seeing the statue head of Akhenaten, which I've seen in books and on TV, and the sunken relief of Akhenaten and Nefertiti (Tut's parents). For many of the items of the exhibit, the caption would list how many objects of the same kind were in the tomb, sometimes forty or more. Incredible!

No comments: