Sunday, July 02, 2006

Chicago, Chicago

Most of this weekend I've been dog sitting in Columbia for my parents. I was sorely disappointed that their computer was not working at all. I felt so out of touch!

My sister and bro-in-law were looking in Chicago for an apartment so they can move up there in about a month and pursue their careers in acting (Abby) and music and film (Chad). Coincidentally, my dad was working up there. He was staying in a hotel down the street from one of Chicago's many art museums, so he called my mom Monday and said why don't you come up here? My siblings, Frank and Anna, stayed home with all the doggies. I went down to fill in the hours when they were both working.

The dogs were very good, and calmer than they usually are when I visit, when they're riled up and hyper. Too bad it was so burn-your-flesh, sweat-a-quart hot.

Mom brought me a black T-shirt from the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, that says in white letters on the front "FEAR NO ART." I love it! Dad made a crack about "Fear no fart," ha ha, dad humor.

Mom reached into her bag, "I brought you back an onion."
An onion? I thought.
She pulled out a little newsprint flyer; oh, The Onion !
It's published in Chicago, and apparently you can pick up a free hardcopy around town. I had no idea.

This morning I finished knitting, stuffing, and sewing Kate, a toy from knitty.com. I love this designer, Jess Hutchison. I originally bought yarn for Kate to knit her in Eureka, but I just didn't have time to make her. I used Cascade 220 in orange sherbet (7825), fuchsia (9470), and turquoise (8906--instead of maroon), and size 7 needles. I really liked working with this 100-percent-wool yarn and think it would make a pretty sweater. It seemed I didn't use much of my yarn. I could make another Kate or two, or something else.

No comments: