Sunday, July 08, 2007

Go East, young woman


In August I'm moving to a new-to-me neighborhood in Nashville, East Nashville (very specifically, the Lockeland Springs neighborhood in East Nashville). For non-Nashvillians, East Nashville is on the other side of the Cumberland River from downtown. It's older, and "in transition" as the saying goes.

The Nashville Scene has an interesting article this week about East Nashville titled "East Side Story: Westies, get ready to rumble—East Nashville has arrived." East Nashville has a lot of character, and all the good and bad that applies. I'm really looking forward to moving there though, because I'll be near work, near a dog park, Dodger will have a fenced-in backyard of his own, and I won't be going totally broke. I'll have two roommates, which will be a transition for me, but I think ultimately a good one. And I have friends who already live in East Nashville!

East Nashville reminds me a lot of the area I grew up in, in Memphis, Midtown. It's the older, urban, artsy side of Memphis, sort of far away from big retailers. I know East Nashvillians think their neighborhood is completely singular, but I just don't know. Sounds like Midtown!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I was thinking it sounded like Midtown while reading your description!

~ Cee ~ said...

Hopefully all the renovations they've projected regarding Gallatin Road will come to pass. As much as I hate to admit it, I'd rather be safe than hip because there's an element of danger ;)

Sarah W. said...

Word.